The Historic Police Camp

The first police station in the district was established at what was then known as Richardson Crossing, later renamed Donald. This little four-roomed house was built in 1869 at the request of the local squatters to control the drunken behaviour of their shepherds.

6 Woods Street (opposite Scilley's Island), Donald VIC 3480


One room was the office and the other three rooms were for the policeman and his family. One policeman’s wife insisted on having a proper kitchen, so this was added at the rear as a detached building in case of fire.

The house has been restored by the Donald History Group and the Donald Lions Club and the lockup has been rebuilt from two old lockups of the same vintage. Over time several other buildings have been relocated from farms of the area, including stables, a blacksmith’s shop, a dairy, a shepherd’s hut and a buggy shed. The latest addition is a large shed accommodating a bullock dray and other large farm vehicles, the walls of which are recycled buloke slabs from Rich Avon Station.

Image gallery